Citations / Quoting
Reputation Aegis Review Page and Widgets incorporates the most complete information possible from the comments left by customers of a company, a brand or a product, on websites already accessible to public. We make this information freely available to all consumers.
Reputation Aegis respects the EU / US "fair dealing / fair use" policies governing practices such as quoting and linking on the Internet. For better consumer information & public interest, Reputation Aegis quotes reviews which were originally published on third party online publications.
- The legal citation requirements are:
o When quoting a 3rd party publication, it is required to clearly state the original publication source of the review (like: "written by: publication.com").
o It is not required to include a link to the original article.
- Reputation Aegis policies for quoting third parties' reviews:
o Always clearly state the original publication source.
o Always link to the original publication source.
Reputation Aegis complies with INTERNATIONAL CONVENTIONS for the citation of literary and artistic works on the basis of the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works:
Article 10 of the BERNE CONVENTION specifies the free use of works:
(1) It shall be permissible to make quotations from a work which has already been lawfully made available to the public, provided that their making is compatible with fair practice, and their extent does not exceed that justified by the purpose, including quotations from newspaper articles and periodicals in the form of press summaries.
(2) It shall be a matter for legislation in the countries of the Union, and for special agreements existing or to be concluded between them, to permit the utilization, to the extent justified by the purpose, of literary or artistic works by way of illustration in publications, broadcasts or sound or visual recordings for teaching, provided such utilization is compatible with fair practice.
(3) Where use is made of works in accordance with the preceding paragraphs of this Article, mention shall be made of the source, and of the name of the author if it appears thereon.
In the EUROPEAN UNION, we respect Directive 2001/29/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 22 May 2001:
Article 5, c
"reproduction by the press, communication to the public or making available of published articles on current economic, political or religious topics or of broadcast works or other subject-matter of the same character, in cases where such use is not expressly reserved, and as long as the source, including the author's name, is indicated, or use of works or other subject-matter in connection with the reporting of current events, to the extent justified by the informatory purpose and as long as the source, including the author's name, is indicated, unless this turns out to be impossible;"
Article 5, d
"quotations for purposes such as criticism or review, provided that they relate to a work or other subject-matter which has already been lawfully made available to the public, that, unless this turns out to be impossible, the source, including the author's name, is indicated, and that their use is in accordance with fair practice, and to the extent required by the specific purpose;"
In the UNITED KINGDOM, we respect Sections 29 and 30 of the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988.